Rentable Celebrity Pods Pop Up All Over Los Angeles
Airbnb.com creates pop-up, bookable celebrity rooms in glamorous locales, curated by the likes of James Franco, Anjelica Huston and Moby, as part of its "Hello L.A." event.
How would you like to stay in a room with some of James Franco’s favorite things at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery? Or maybe camp out overnight in The Viper Room, amidst the music and photography of Moby? Sound like a bizarrely L.A. experience? That’s exactly the effect Airbnb.com is going for with their “Hello L.A.” promotion, a five-day hospitality event celebrating fascinating people, places and experiences in Los Angeles.
Airbnb, the popular website where you can find a homey place to stay in just about any city, or rent out your own extra room or entire home to vacationers, is hosting a wildly creative promotion from Sept. 27 to Oct. 1. Celebrities including James Franco, Anjelica Huston, Moby, Molly Sims and Lake Bell will host and design Airbnb pop-up listings in iconic local destinations like the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, The Cook’s Garden by HGEL in Venice, the Arts District, The Viper Room and The Grove.
The design palette for each listing is a reflection of the celebrity’s individual style and “vision” of Los Angeles, complete with their favorite decor, including art, color and texture. Additionally, each pop-up will feature the celebrity’s music playlist along with a guide to the celebrity’s local hangouts from their favorite restaurants to their late-night haunts.
To create a personalized style for each listing, Airbnb worked with HGTV host and designer Emily Henderson, who collaborated with a team of local designers: Justina Blakeney (The Arts District), Orlando Soria (The Cook’s Garden by HGEL), Matthew Lanphier (Hollywood Forever Cemetery), Emily Henderson (The Viper Room), and Kelly Harris & Paige Appel (The Grove). Using artwork contributed by the Broad Foundation collection and Sonos’ wireless music systems, the pop-up gives guests a sense of being in the celebrity’s home environment.
And some lucky L.A. locals might be able to enjoy these accommodations for free. By submitting love letters to L.A. through Facebook, L.A. residents can enter to win overnight stays at the pop-ups and gain VIP access to special events, some of which will be attended by the celebrity hosts.
Tour Hello L.A.'s Celebrity Pop-UpsView All 6 Photos
To be a little more specific about the pop-ups and events:
- Hollywood Forever Cemetery – Curated by James Franco, the Hollywood Cemetery pop-up takes guests on a nostalgic journey through Hollywood history. Visitors can reflect on the evolution of art and performance while surrounded by the spirits of Hollywood legends. On Monday, Sept. 30 from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m., guests are invited to an immersive night of art and music, courtesy of Doug Aitken’s Station to Station project, featuring music from L.A.-based recording artist Ariel Pink.
- The Cook’s Garden by HGEL – At Cook's Garden by HGEL, Anjelica Huston creates an inspired space featuring sustainable techniques and natural designs. On Sunday, Sept. 29 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., guests are invited to the Airbnb backyard to celebrate the connection between community, green building and locally sourced food during the Abbot Kinney Festival.
- The Arts District – Curated by Lake Bell and her mother, designer Robin Bell, this pop-up is a playful extension of L.A.'s creative spirit in the arts community with events spotlighting local artists and makers. On Sunday, Sept. 29 from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., guests are invited to join hosts Lake and Robin for a guided tour of the Arts District pod.
- The Viper Room – Guests will experience an ambient house pop-up, created by singer-songwriter, DJ and photographer Moby. On Saturday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m., Moby will share unreleased tracks from his new record “INNOCENTS,” with guests at the Silent Frisco dance party.
- The Grove – Molly Sims will host an all-American, Old Hollywood party on The Park, which will reflect all of Hollywood's glamour, including pop-up performances, lawn games and special giveaways. On Monday, Sept. 30 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Molly will celebrate the launch of her pop-up with a champagne toast.