Top 15 Home Updates That Pay Off
Find out how the top 15 home improvements rank, plus get tips on maximizing the return at resale.
Average return at resale: 100 percent
- The average homeowner spends about $3,502 for landscaping and another $1,465 on a designer, according to the American Nursery Landscape Association.
- Not sure where to start? Local garden centers often offer free design services, or ask the neighbors what works for them.
- Sod costs about 30 to 35 cents a square foot, so a 5,000 sq. ft. yard would cost about $1,500 to sod. Budget for a delivery fee if you buy less than 1,000 sq. ft. of sod.
- A splash of color at the front of the house is an eye-catching plus. For maximum impact, choose one color and vary the height of plants.
- If your doorway is overwhelmed by greenery, then get out the shears. Replace overgrown shrubbery with flowering foundation plants mixing heights and colors for dramatic effect.
- A charming focal point like a walkway and fountain adds major value to your property. Roll a sealant on flagstones for a permanent wet look that enhances the color.