Top 15 Home Updates That Pay Off
Find out how the top 15 home improvements rank, plus get tips on maximizing the return at resale.#1 Minor Bathroom Remodel
Average return at resale: 102 percent
- It costs about $10,500 to replace the tub, tile surround, floor, toilet, sink, vanity and fixtures. You’ll get back an average of $10,700 at resale, a recoup rate of 102 percent
- If you can pipe a child’s name on a birthday cake, you can re-caulk a tub. Use a softener like CAULK-BE-GONE to get rid of the old caulk. Fill the tub with water after you’re done to stretch caulk while it dries.
- If your old tub is too large to fit out the door, re-glaze it for a like-new finish. Cost: $300 to $400.
- Remove dated wall coverings and apply a fresh coat of paint. For damaged walls, spray on texture provides quick coverage.
- Old shower doors can ruin any bathroom. Removing or replacing them will add the illusion of space.