Maximum Home Value Storage Projects: Closets
Remodeling and organizing your closets can streamline your life and—when the time comes—the sale of your home.
If you have trouble finding things because of overstuffed, disorganized closets, it's time for an upgrade. Not only are cluttered closets inconvenient, they also show potential homebuyers that you don’t have enough space. Adequate storage space is essential, and well-organized closets are extremely valuable.
The master suite and kitchen are the most important parts of the house, so invest in nice closets in these areas. Custom shelves, drawer organizers and shoe racks are just a few ways to control clutter and increase your home’s value.
- Organized with a purpose. If your closet consists of a single rod, give it a makeover. Today’s closets are larger, deeper and taller, and walk-in closets are a must for master bedrooms. They are also more elaborate and offer diverse storage areas, such as shelving units, built-in shoe racks, roll-out drawers, organizational bins and even a pull-out ironing board.
- Dresser in the closet. Some homeowners are building cabinets in their closets and centerpiece storage -- almost like an island -- for shoes and underwear.
- His-and-her closets. Like dual vanities, personalized space, privacy and designated storage areas are in demand by today’s homeowners.
The biggest mistake homeowners make in updating their closets is going overboard, says Appraisal Institute president Leslie Sellers. “Some people will get a knee-jerk reaction and build a closet that is inappropriate and doesn’t match with the rest of the house,” he says. “Keep it proportional.”
- On a Budget: You don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars designing a new closet and building custom shelves. Wire baskets are a good way to stay organized and add a bit of style. And there are various hanging systems you can install yourself that expand the usability of the closet.
- Mid-Range: Whether you do it yourself or hire a professional, there are closet organization systems that fit any budget. You can also modernize an outdated closet by changing the door to give it a new look and increase access. For instance, if your closet has a single door, replace it with double doors.
- High-End: Customize your closets with shelves and drawers to match your style, taste and needs. Custom-built features, like an impressive shoe wall or a handy tie caddy, add convenience and luxury.