Maximum Home Value Bathroom Projects: Flooring
If your floors have seen better days and need to be updated, you’ve got a lot of options. Increase your home's value with these remodeling tips.
With all the water that’s splashed around in the bathroom, your floors should not only be beautiful, but also safe, easy to clean and able to withstand a lot of moisture.
- Style underfoot. Vinyl, ceramic tile and laminate are common choices, but natural stone, hardwood and concrete offer a unique look and additional value. When choosing wood, make sure it’s sealed well and water-repellent. Concrete is becoming more popular due to its durability and design flexibility. It can be colored or custom designed for your bathroom. A few homeowners are even putting moisture-resistant carpet in the bathroom, though it requires more maintenance to ensure mold and mildew don’t build up. Whatever style you choose, make sure the surface is not dangerously slippery when wet.
- Heated floors. Nothing beats the feeling of walking onto warm tile after a shower. This added comfort can benefit you now and later when you sell.
Appraisal expert Leslie Sellers says too often homeowners want to rip out the existing bathroom and start over again without really giving serious thought to a new design.“One of the biggest mistakes people make is poor planning,” Sellers says. “Homeowners need to come up with a master plan and complete the project in stages.”
- On a Budget: Vinyl flooring is a popular choice because it’s affordable, durable and easy to install. Plus, today’s vinyl sheets and tiles feature many stylish designs and patterns.
- Mid-Range: Ceramic tile is the standard and instantly adds an upscale look to a bathroom. For heated floors, an affordable alternative to getting a professionally installed system is to do it yourself with heated floor mats.
- High-End: Concrete and natural stone offer a different look from the traditional ceramic or porcelain tile. Honed marble, limestone and slate are less slippery. A radiant floor-heating system is essential.