Get Your House Ready for its Close-Up
Make a good impression on potential buyers with these tips for staging your house and preparing for a sell.
First impressions can often decide whether someone wants to see more of your act, or gong you before the show even starts. To ensure a Chuck Barris "Wow!" instead of a gong of rejection, run through this checklist before your open house:
- Plant new flowers, especially up the walkway to your home.
- Clear off your front porch.
- Burn potpourri (or bake cookies in the morning, then leave them out for your visitors).
- Clean! Clean! Clean! (Yes, even the baseboards.).
- Place fresh flowers on the dining room table.
- Remove all clutter from the house.
- Leave every light on and every door open.
- Hide the picture of Uncle Dave in his Speedo.
- If you have a Realtor, leave the house while buyers are looking at it.
- If you are representing yourself, sell the house and the neighborhood, not your astounding card tricks (even the one you filmed for YouTube).