Five Reasons Not to Pack It
Hiring a mover? Make sure you know their ground rules before you start packing. Here are a few easy clues that an item is taboo.
1. It's irreplaceable. Moving mix-ups do happen, so make sure valuable goodies and family heirlooms stay with you.
2. It's flammable. This includes the "duh" suspects like gasoline, lighter fluid, and bleach. But most moving companies even include aerosol products like hairspray and shaving cream on this list; cleaning products and certain paints may also be prohibited. Pack anything questionable in a separate box.
3. It's alive. Plants, pets, and people generally aren't welcome aboard.
4. It's perishable. Most movers impose strict limits on time and distance when shipping perishable foods, so double-check before packing the contents of your freezer.
5. It's illegal. Of course this doesn't apply to you, but make sure your friend-of-a-friend leaves any and all contraband off the moving truck.