Charleston, South Carolina
One of the most intact urban antebellum complexes in America, the Aiken-Rhett House on Elizabeth Street was built for Charleston merchant John Robinson in 1920. The home was extensively expanded in the 1930s by Gov. William Aiken Jr. and remained in the Aiken family until 1975. Since it was purchased by the Historic Charleston Foundation in 1955, the residence has been dedicated to displaying decorative and fine art collections from the city's early history.