Buckhead’s Pink Castle Reduced by $1 Million

Featured in Anne River Siddons Peachtree Road, the Italian villa waits for the right buyer as Atlantans watch.

Photo by: Blayne Beacham Macauley and Rod Collins Now the back of the home, this is the view one would've seen if approaching from the original gates. Only the spires can be seen from the road at night.

Located in the heart of Buckhead, the Calhoun-Thornwell House or “Tryggveson” or the Pink Castle, depending on to whom you’re speaking, holds all the mystery and intrigue of a good romance novel or the perfect location for a horror film.

The foreboding Old World Italian-style villa with its ominous baroque spires sits way off of Pinestream Road. Blink in you’ll miss it.

Area architecture buffs, design aficionados and 40-somethings that grew up in the area, however, are well aware of the historic home’s presence.

Old school Atlantans tell stories of creeping up to the house in the '70s, walking in the front door and sneaking around the house, merely to take a peak at inside. Parents told their kids it was haunted as they drove the family truckster slowly past at dusk. Atlanta designers, photographers and real estate agents all utter the same word when referring to the home: magical.

The historic home has only been inhabited by two families and has never gone on the market until recently. The 16th-century Italian Villa-style estate was completed in 1923 and was created in the image of two villas Neel Reid visited in Verona, Italy.  According to listing agent Glennis Beacham, though Reid was the principal architect, the plans and execution of this estate was a collaborative effort with Philip Shutze, best known for designing Atlanta’s Swan House.

The original baroque piers on either side of Pinestream on the West Paces Ferry side still stand and were modeled after similar ones in Verona. The columns marked the long driveway and framed the house when it sat on 100 acres.

Of course the valuable land was parceled off and the Pink Castle now sits on a little over three acres. In 1958, owners Roby and Louise Calhoun Robinson sold the house to the Thornwell family who were in residence for more than 50 years. In 2010 it was quietly put on the market and there it still sits, waiting for the right buyer who will appreciate its grandeur and details such as the mural Philemon and Baucis by Allyn Cox who is best known for his completion of the Friezes in the Capitol Rotunda.

That special person (with an extra $2.5 million) will hopefully not tear out the unique marble detailing, the ornamental plasterwork, marble fireplaces, the terra cotta tile roof tiles, the roundel of Michelangelo and so much more. It also has a grand foyer, a library, sleeping porches, a separate garage apartment, a formal dining room and six bedrooms.

By no means a fixer-upper, the house does need a few updates, but in no way needs changing. That would be a high crime sure to haunt the new occupants for the rest of their lives.

Advertisement

Zillow Real Estate Search


What do you think?

See Also