GPS Anomaly Turns Bay Bridge Drivers Into Magical Water Fairies
It's only temporary, but it's super amusing to pretend you're in a hovercraft when you're really on a brand-new bridge.
When you get tired of Instagramming, Vine-ing and plain-old tweeting your trip across the "White Span," as the Eastern span of the new Bay Bridge is called, you can amuse yourself by looking at your smartphone or GPS's map and see yourself not riding across the bridge, but floating effortlessly alongside, like some kind of mysterious car-dian angel.
Here's our list of things you might want to shout as you view yourself effortlessly slipping the surly bonds of earth:
- "Don't worry, Wilson. I'll do all the paddling — you just hang on."
- "Dry land is a myth."
- "Into the blue again, after the money's gone. Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground."
- "I'll never let go, Jack! I'll never let go!"
- "We're gonna need a bigger boat ... right?"
- "Mark well what ye saw here today, mateys, and always remember this as the day you sail with Captain Jack Sparrow."
- "Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming! Just keep swim-ming, swim-ming, swim-ming ..."
- "Up where they walk, up where they run, up where they stay all day in the sun! Wanderin' free. Wish I could be – part of that wooooorld."
- "I hate space."
- "I am the captain now."
How many of these could you place? How many are now stuck in your head? How long do you think it'll take for the various map providers to catch up to the reality of the new bridge?
(And yeah - #9 isn't about water. It's about space. But it fits, doesn't it?)
(And also, yes: Bookended by Tom Hanks, as everything should be.)
1. Cast Away (2000) 2. Waterworld (1995) 3. Once in a Lifetime (Talking Heads) 4. Titanic (1997) 5. Jaws (1975) 6. Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) 7. Finding Nemo (2003) 8. The Little Mermaid (1989) 9. Gravity (2013) 10. Captain Phillips (2013)