Five Ways To Make Friends in a New Neighborhood
Friends can help you feel at home -- but first you need to find them. Here's 5 ways to make friends with your new neighbors.
Here's how to meet a few good candidates for your social circle.
- If you belong to a church, club, or professional organization, find a local chapter. You'll stay in your comfort zone and meet people who share the same interests.
- If you're a sports fan, join a rec team -- or at least watch the game at a nearby sports bar instead of your couch.
- Check the local paper for community events or festivals. These events are usually sponsored by area businesses and attended by fun-loving locals. It's win-win.
- Go to work. You spend eight hours a day with your co-workers, so it's a natural place to form friendships. Ask them to offer restaurant recommendations; once you've broken the ice, you can always invite them to dinner at their favorite Mexican joint.
- Go online. If you haven't found enough opportunities to meet people around town, create a profile at a networking site like MySpace or Facebook, where you can search for people with similar interests. Who knows? You may even find that an old friend is living right down the road.